- Soak the rice for 30 mins in warm water. Rinse thoroughly and drain the water.
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp vegetable or sunflower oil, add the cumin seeds and cinnamon. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add the onions.
- Sauté the onion for 5-7 minute or till starting to brown then add the vegetables.
- Add the turmeric, salt, chilli, garlic, ginger, rice and mix in with the 700ml water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for 20 mins until the water is absorbed.
- Serve and enjoy with a dollop of yogurt
- I vary the vegetables in this dish according to the season. In the winter, it’s delicious with lots of roasted root vegetables – and in the summer, it’s perfect with peppers and peas
- This dish works really well as a main meal too. Simply fry some chicken and prawns until they’re completely cooked-through, then stir them into your finished pilau rice.